Thursday, June 2, 2011

Verde, Bianca, e Rosso

Since being in Italy, I have seen numerous differences in culture and lifestyle, compared to America. Some are great, others not so much. Some are big, some are small. There are somethings I expected to be totally different, but are actually the same. Then there are somethings I expected to be totally different that are actually not at all. For example, I learned for the first time what a bidet is (that doesn't mean I use it), I found out that the Italians apparently don't like to do laundry since the washer is the size of a small kettle and we have no dryer, I have now tasted what true gelato is and I will probably never be able to eat American ice cream again. I have (luckily) discovered that I am a pretty good cook and that authentic Italian food is unbelievable (this is why Perugia has so many stairs, to burn off the calories). However, I still can't figure out for the life of me why Italians have this beautiful sense of nationalism that Americans lack.

During the Renaissance, the people of Italy were so excited about what was going on, they knew that they were living in a very special time. Besides, after the Dark Ages, things could only up from there. Artists, such as Michelangelo, put all their effort into creating beautiful works of art, which nothing at the time (or today, really) could rival. Why would they do this? Because they were bored? Nope, it is because they loved their country, their commissioner, and they wanted their works to be best of the best. They probably didn't know that their works would still be viewed by millions of people hundreds of years later. The goal of their art was to capture the true essence of the day they were living in and capture it they did.

So many works of art seemed to be profound, over-the-top, full of light, and usually contained at least a few people as opposed to just one. Many times, artists would portray biblical characters and stories, mythology, or even other prominent scholars (such as in School of Athens). There was just a strong sense of nationalism and community that cannot be denied. That can still be seen today. I have countless pictures of the Italian flag flying outside of people's apartments. I see entire cities support a soccer team by dressing up in all pink. We have American's have plenty to be proud of, we just don't seem to show it. It is hard enough to get everyone to stand for the National Anthem, nevertheless sing at their top of lungs along with it. Where is our pride? Where is our sense of great history? Where is our community? Where is the love for our country? 

1 comment:

  1. I wonder how many young Americans even know the words to the National Anthem.

    ReplyDelete